This ¾” thick Powder Magazine is hand screen printed on the front and a short description on the back. It is part of a eight-piece series of buildings called Series XVII, Revolutionary War Series, created by Cat’s Meow founder, Faline Jones, in her seventeeth year of business. This series was introduced on January 1, 1999 and retired on December 31, 2003.
Powder was stored here from 1713 until May 7, 1780, during the British siege of the city of Charlston. The Americans moved the explosives to the basement of the Exchange, fearing that a direct hit might set off the 10,000 pounds of powder. Currently, the Powder Magazine is considered Charleston's oldest public building.
Look for our trademark black cat, Casper, on every Cat’s Meow. Handcrafted in our Wooster, Ohio workshop.
There are a limited number of this piece available, which is reflected in the price. With your purchase of this building, Faline will donate 10% to Amani Ya Juu, a fair-trade sewing and training program for marginalized women throughout Africa. Visit their website: www.amaniafrica.org (no wholesale orders)