The Brewster Store was originally built as a church in 1852. When it sold for one dollar in 1866, the steeple was removed and the front extended for a general store. It has served as a general store for nearly 150 years since. In 1989, the entire store and museum was emptied. It was reinforced from the basement to the second floor by the current owners. The Brewster Store is a designated building in the National Historic District of Brewster, Massachusetts.