The Watch Hill Lighthouse in Watch Hill, Rhode Island has served as a nautical beacon for ships since 1745 when the Rhode Island colonial government erected a watchtower and beacon during the French and Indian War and Revolutionary War. The original structure was destroyed in a 1781 storm. President Thomas Jefferson signed an act to build the lighthouse in 1806, and construction was completed in 1807.
In 1827, a rotating light was installed to differentiate it from the Stonington Harbor Light in Connecticut. Erosion forced it to close in 1855 and move farther away from the bluff edge. The next lighthouse opened in 1856 and remains as the present structure,
In 1879, lighthouse keeper Captain Jared Starr Crandall's widow Sally Ann (Gavitt) Crandall became the first woman lighthouse keeper there.
This ¾" thick wooden lighthouse keepsake is handcrafted in the U.S. with colorful details. A short description is written on the back.
Look for Casper, our mascot black cat, taking up residence within the design. This is the sign of an authentic Cat’s Meow!