Saint John's Episcopal Church had its beginnings in late 1854 when nine citizens of the town of Sandwich gathered for the first time as a religious society.
The late 1800s were a difficult period for the town of Sandwich. Six villages petitioned for separation from Sandwich. In 1896, a lot was purchased at 159 Old Main Street. A small church with a nave to seat 100 parishioners, a small sacristy, and a belltower was designed. Construction began on March 13, 1899. It was decided to leave the interior woodwork natural and to paint the ceiling a robin's egg blue as it was soothing and peaceful. The church has continued to thrive with increased service and Sunday School attendance, and an increase in the number of weddings, baptisms, funerals, and confirmants.
We handcraft our buildings from 3/4" thick wood with all the colorful details on the front. Made in the USA. Look for Casper, our mascot black cat, taking up residence within the designs. This is the sign of an authentic Cat’s Meow!