The first Orthodox Cathedral in North America, St. Michael's opened its doors on November 20, 1848. Priests originally ministered to Russian hunters, trappers, and explorers.
On January 2, 1966, during a fire that completely destroyed the building, 100+ Sitka citizens came together creating a human chain to rescue 95% of the original icons.
St Michael's was proudly reconstructed back to its original beauty.
Fun Facts about St. Michael's:
- Sailcloth lines the inside walls of the church in memory of mariners lost at sea and for acoustics.
- St. Michael['s was added to the National Historic Landmark List by the National Park Service in 1962
- Our Lady of Kazan, also known as Sitka Madonna, resides here
Look for Casper, our black cat mascot, enjoying the warm sun waiting to welcome all who come to vistit. He's the sign of an authentic Cat's Meow.
Handcrafted by our small workshop crew in Wooster, Ohio, U.S.A, this scene is from 3/4" thick wood with colorful details on the front and a little description on the back.