Designed by John S. Norris for General Hugh Weedon Mercer, construction of the Mercer house began in 1860. Construction was interrupted by the American Civil War, and finally completed around 1868 by the new owner, John Wilder.
Many decades later it lay vacant until 1969, when Jim Williams, one of Savannah’s earliest and most dedicated private restorationists, bought the house and fully restored it.
The Mercer House Museum, is located at the southwestern end of Monterey Square, in Savannah, Georgia.] The house was the scene of the shooting death of Jim Williams' assistant, Danny Hansford, a story that is retold in the 1994 John Berendt book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. The house is now open to the public for daily tours.
Casper can be found in one of his favorite purrching spots, on the front railing of this detailed keepsake.
Handcrafted by our small workshop crew in Wooster, Ohio, this scene is from 3/4" thick wood with colorful details on the front and a little description on the back.