Grindle Point Light is in Islesboro, Maine, marking the west entrance to Gilkey Harbor at the westernmost point of the island. The light station was established in 1850, and the present tower and keeper's house were built in 1874. William C. Dodge, keeper in the 1920s and '30s, had a collie named Tray who learned to sound the fog bell by pulling a rope with his teeth whenever a vessel passed the lighthouse.
The station was deactivated in 1934 and reactivated by the Coast Guard in 1987. The keeper's house now houses the Grindle Pint Sailor's Museum and the light house tower is open for tours.
We're a small workshop of 15 crew members in Wooster, Ohio who love our jobs of crafting replicas that hold deep meaning for you!
Look for Casper, our black cat mascot, curled up on the breakwall keeping an eye on the vessels passing through! He is the sign of an authentic Cat's Meow.
Grindle Point Lighthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places listings in Waldo County, Maine, March 13.1987.