The Ford Mansion, a Georgian style home, was built in the 1770's for Jacob Ford, Jr., and his family. He was an iron manufacturer and later a colonel in the Morris County Militia during the Revolutionary War. After his death in 1777, his widow, Theodosia, permitted General George Washington to use their home as his headquarters during the winter of 1779-1780.
During that winter the home was bustling with people. Washington was accompanied by his wife, Martha, five aides-de-camp, including Alexander Hamilton, eighteen servants, guards, and several visiting dignitaries. Washington stayed for six months and the Ford family lived at the home until the 1870's when it was auctioned off to become one of the first house museums of the United States.
We're a small workshop of 15 crew members in Wooster, Ohio who love our jobs of crafting replicas that hold deep meaning for you!
Look for Casper, our black cat mascot curled up on the front steps keeping an eye on the local traffic. He's the sign of an authentic Cat's Meow!